With looming load-shedding schedules across South Africa, it looks to be a dark and gloomy winter for us. Now is the time to be prepared just in case load-shedding hits your home. Here are our top tips to help you prepare for potential load-shedding this winter:
- Keep a copy of the load shedding schedule nearby and leave a reminder on your phone to help you remember.
- Ensure your laptop, tablet and cell phones are fully charged. If you have no time to charge your phone, then, keep a power bank handy.
- Do not open and close your refrigerator as you want to maintain the cold temperature for as long as possible.
- Invest in a portable generator for your home. Ensure your generator has enough fuel to last for a week.
- Unplug all appliances if not in use.
- Make sure you have enough candles, gas lamps and batteries at hand.
- Instead of cooking every night, rather prepare meals once a week or even twice a week.
- If you have a fireplace, keep wood and kindling at hand for those cold nights.